Augusta State University is an outgrowth of the Academy of Richmond County chartered in 1783 and opened in 1785. It offered college-level classes for boys to enter universities as sophomores or juniors. It became the Junior College of Augusta in 1925 and moved to the site of the Augusta Arsenal in 1957. The institution was transferred to the University System of Georgia in 1958 and granted its first four year degrees in 1963. In 1996, Augusta College became Augusta State University. In 2013, Augusta State University merged with Georgia Health Sciences University to become Georgia Regents University.
The expansion of Alpha Sigma Phi at Georgia Regents University began in the fall of 2009, when Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters contacted the Director of Student Activities informing them of Alpha Sigma Phi’s interest in expanding in Georgia. With the approval of the Greek council in the spring of 2010, plans were made to begin efforts in the fall of 2010.
After a period of contacts with Matt Humberger, Bowling Green ‘03, from fall 2009 to spring 2010, an interest group was developed on the campus by Jason H. Nolen-Doerr, Murray State ‘05. On September 21, 2010, 21 men went through the Pledge Ceremony. Two days later, on September 23, 2010, four more men became new members of the Fraternity. The 25 new members of Alpha Sigma Phi hit the ground running with planning community service, philanthropy and brotherhood events.
The biggest bonding experience of all occurred during the Phoenix Rising Colony retreat held by Jason H. Nolen-Doerr, Murray State ‘05, J. W. Lane, Murray State ‘99, and Steve Dutton, Bowling Green ‘04, which provided the Georgia Regents University, Georgia Tech, and UNC-Asheville colonies the opportunity to meet each other. During the retreat, the three colonies participated in various team-building and goal setting activities. This made the groups even closer and helped establish the work that needed to be done to develop and create a solid foundation for a future chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi.
The Colony ended the 2010-2011 academic year with 19 members and recruited six more in the early fall 2011. A petition for charter was approved on October 1, 2011. Alpha Sigma Phi is the second NIC Fraternity to charter at Georgia Regents.
Zeta Delta chartered on November 19, 2011. The Ceremony took place at the Jaguar Student Activity Center. Jason H. Nolen-Doerr, Murray State ‘05, represented Fraternity Staff. Grand Councilor David Roux, Clemson ‘08, presented the charter and gave the Keynote Address. Chaz Glick, Augusta ‘11, was the Founding President. Zeta Delta was the first chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi to be chartered in the State of Georgia.
In September of 2015, the University changed its name once again and is now Augusta University.
In July 2019, Alpha Sigma Phi withdrew recognition of the University and the Zeta Delta Chapter now operates independently.
On September 9, 2019, the undergraduates of the Zeta Delta Chapter contacted the Fraternity with a desire to cease operations due to low morale and declining recruitment. The Fraternity accepted their request and temporarily suspended operations with a plan to return in spring 2020.
Records show award name and year(s) received.
|Alpha Gamma Upsilon Bronze Cup of Distinction
|Phi Pi Phi Silver Cup of Distinction
Records show brother's name, initiation year, and award received.
|Thomas Franklin Lynam
|Undergraduate Hall of Fame