Lycoming College


Williamsport, PA

The Williamsport Academy was founded in 1812.  It became a preparatory school for Dickinson College of Pennsylvania in 1848, and an accredited junior college in 1929. Authorization for a four-year curriculum obtained in 1947 and the name was changed to Lycoming College in 1948. The first baccalaureate degrees were conferred in 1949.

Phi Kappa Upsilon, organized at Lycoming College after World War II, and was chartered as Nu chapter of Alpha Gamma Upsilon on March 18, 1951.

Following merger of Alpha Sigma Phi and Alpha Gamma Upsilon in 1965, the chapter was installed as Gamma Rho Chapter on May 22, 1965. Dr. Otto Sonder, American ‘47, was Master of Ceremonies; Ralph F. Burns, Ohio Wesleyan ‘32, and past Alpha Gamma Upsilon President James Brown were speakers at the installation. Otto Sonder, Jr., American ‘47, had served as faculty advisor to the Alpha Gamma Upsilon Chapter for several years before the merger and was instrumental in bringing together James Brown, President of Alpha Gamma Upsilon and Ralph F. Burns, Executive Secretary of Alpha Sigma Phi. There were 49 charter members initiated in May 1965. The chapter won the 1982 IFC intramural football championship and the 1987 Tomahawk Award.  The chapter moved into new on-campus housing in Fall 1988.  Sigwarrior is the chapter’s newsletter. In August 1997, after a period of low membership, the charter of Gamma Rho chapter was withdrawn. The chapter initiated 413 members.


Records show brother's name, initiation year, and award received.

Edward Eric Sives 1985 Dr. Otto L. Sonder Advisor of the Year
  1985 Delta Beta Xi Award