Carthage College originated as Hillsboro College and was founded in 1847. It moved to Kenosha, Wisconsin in 1964. In Spring 1929 a local fraternity at Carthage College, Alpha Kappa Pi Society, which had been organized on March 20, 1921, was approved and 13 of its members initiated. At the last minute the college let it be known that it did not approve of the entry of a national fraternity onto its campus. The initiated members were transferred to the role of the Epsilon chapter and the local continued to lobby for authorization to be installed in Alpha Kappa Pi. In 1942 the college withdrew its opposition to the chartering of the fraternity. The local Alpha Kappa Pi Society was chartered as Alpha Mu Chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi Fraternity on April 18, 1942. The charter members of the chapter were initiated at Milton College. The chapter’s operations were quickly disrupted by World War II, and the chapter was not revived after the return of peace. The chapter roll contains 33 names. Calvin Sifferd, Illinois ‘46, a member of the local was instrumental in the post war reactivation of Eta Chapter, and received the Delta Beta Xi Award.