Bentley College was founded in 1917 as a two-year finance and accounting school in Boston, Massachusetts. In 1961, it moved to Waltham, Massachusetts and in 1971 it expanded to offer a four-year undergraduate and a graduate school curriculum.
In the fall of 1998, Jarret Dreicer, Christopher Lermann, Christopher Liva and John Gersh decided to found a new fraternity. When the four had interested six others, they started holding meetings at Chris McSweeney’s room in Miller Hall. At McSweeney’s suggestion, the ten men visited the Gamma Chapter (Massachusetts) of Alpha Sigma Phi where McSweeney’s best friend’s brother was a member. After the visit, the group contacted Alpha Sigma Phi Headquarters about the possibility of developing a chapter of the Fraternity. Drew Thawley, Ohio Wesleyan ‘94, visited the group and advised them to grow to 25 members in order to take the next step toward becoming a chapter. Four more men were quickly added. The interest group’s recruitment activities centered on barbecues and ski trips and over time more members joined.
In the fall of 2000, the group gained recognition of the campus Greek Council. Thirty members signed the petition to charter. Members of Epsilon Lambda Chapter (Hartford) initiated the charter members on December 7, 2002. The group was chartered in ceremonies on December 7-8, 2002 and officially became the Epsilon Mu Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi. Eric Kirleis, Plattsburgh ‘88, who had served as colony advisor was named first Grand Chapter Advisor.
During the 2018-2019 academic year, the Chapter had a series of University Code of Conduct violations that resulted in a suspension from the University. In addition, the Epsilon Mu Chapter was in the Charter Review status with the Fraternity due to financial delinquency. The decision was made on June 12, 2019 to accept the University decision and close the Epsilon Mu Chapter.