Duquesne University originated as the College of the Holy Ghost in 1878, and adopted its present name in 1911. Beta Pi Sigma was organized at Duquesne University in 1938. In 1970 the group, led by David Ramsey, petitioned for a charter in Alpha Sigma Phi. After a period as an Associate Chapter, the group was chartered on April 26, 1971. Mark Tolan was the first President. The chapter failed within four years of chartering. The chapter roll contains the names of its 56 initiates.