St. John's College
St. Johns College traces its origins to King William’s School, established in 1696. Its collegiate charter was granted in 1784. McDowell Hall, completed in 1789, is the third oldest college building in continuous use in America. The college operated as a military college from 1885 to 1923. Its current curriculum focuses on study of the Great Books. Sigma Tau Omicron was organized by eleven students on March 1, 1928. In 1929, it obtained its first house at 61 College Avenue. The College Avenue house was outgrown and the Chapter moved to 9 St. John Street in 1931. The local initiated 58 members prior to chartering in Alpha Kappa Pi. The President’s Key was presented annually to the member voted most valuable to the Chapter by his peers.
The installation of Sigma Tau Omicron as Phi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Pi occurred on February 3, 1932 and there were 28 charter members. In 1936, the Chapter moved into what is thought to be the oldest building used as a fraternity chapter house, the Carpenter House, built in 1718. Chapter membership was very small during most of the Chapter’s brief period of activity. The chapter roster contains 52 names.